Sunday, March 3, 2013

Documenta 13, Outdoor Artworks, Structures & Spaces, Kassel, Germany 2012


Documenta is by far the most satisfying art viewing experience I have ever had. I was immersed in artworks placed in over forty locations throughout the city and in the park. Viewers are exposed to works of many mediums in multiple locations and formats. One must explore train stations, bank buildings, movie theatres, museums, galleries, empty store fronts, houses, and public areas in order to discover the scope of the show.  While not especially visually stimulating through photographs, experiencing these works in the flesh breathed life into my experience. One can only look at rows of pictures on white walls, in gallery, after gallery before tiring.
Kassel Hauptbanhof. Music played from intercom every 20-30 minutes



Many works in the park require viewers to physically explore artworks by climbing, entering and laying on them.
I had heard that it is impossible to see everything. This is true in the respect that simultaneous shows were occurring in other locations around the globe. I rented a bike while in Kassel, and for four days I went to every venue minus two which were listed in the directory. These photos are primarily of the outdoor environment and artworks I encountered.
If you want to show video or small scale artworks inside the park at Documenta, you display it in a building like this

Artworks in public space and in the park were not only some of the most interesting and unexpected projects I encountered, but the most challenging for viewers to comprehend. How is a mound of soil covered with grass art? Why is walking or climbing on a piece integral to its experience? How is an artwork's position in its landscape important?

Vegetable garden bridge across the pond



Many artworks seemed banal from a distance or at least not visually inviting. The best signifier that an artwork is near, are streams of people wandering towards an invisible beacon in the distance. (Thank heaven for the map, however non-specific it was).


The key to what is most fascinating about Documenta is that you have to be willing to get close. You must be willing to exert the effort to tread miles towards something you are not sure you will like or even be able to locate.   These artworks help viewers to see the spaces outside of galleries and museums as possible locations to experience artworks. They challenge us to view the world around us as an art project.
Dog park. Only viewers with dogs were allowed inside


 Overall, if you plan to go, be prepared to walk miles and miles, stand for long periods of time and have an incredibly difficult time renting a bike while using an automated system in German with your non-international plan cell phone. It is completely worth it; and it might have been an art project I was unaware of.






2 comments:

  1. Sheds for sale Near Me Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for some other informative blog. Where could I get that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information.
    Outdoor buildings

    ReplyDelete