Wednesday, March 14, 2012

New York City Art Fairs: Armory Week 2012



I just remembered I never posted about my week-long trip to New York for a pan-continential art excursion. I was searching for inspiration and I feel it is necessary to see all the new artists being included in the fairs these days. There was no lack of options to fulfill the needs of either I or my mother, who joined me on my quest.

Our first stop was Pier 92, part of the Armory Show that focused on Modern Art. There was no shortage of abstract expressionism and representational paintings, paintings, paintings. Of course, the Modern period, would not be complete without several fantastic Louise Nevelsons to adore. How I cherish her! I was also fortunate enough to see one of her miniature works in the home of a friend. He had casually placed it on top of his stereo receiver. I will have to remember to take a photo of it next time I visit.
Louise Nevelson
After Pier 92, we headed for Pier 94. The contemporary section of fairs are usually my forte and please me the most. Sadly, I was dissapointed. It may have been because we were there for the VIP opening day- It was remarkably crowded. I was also let down by the Nordic section of the fair. I felt I was stepping over piles of posters, books and navigating my way through hanging fabrics and lightbulbs. Was it just me or did it seem that all of the galleries had brought work that had been curated by the same person? My mother did manage to leave with a roll of toilet paper printed with the word ANGST in red lettering. And I escaped with a pen that says something about "pay attention to poetry".. Who really knows at this point. My suitcase is still packed with tear sheets and flyers indicating dates for upcoming shows, and artist resumes.

My favorite fair was the Independent located in a quaint building in Chelsea. The building was at least three stories tall and viewers were required to climb a very steep and narrow stairway if they were not patient enough to wait for the elevator which was the side of a small public restroom stall. The layout of the Independent was a nice change to the grid pattern booths of temporary walls we so commonly see at massive art fairs. Instead, each gallery was allocated an area or corner on each level. This method of display allowed viewers to meander through and around artworks and between booths without feeling like they have to greet everyone who is patiently waiting for a sale.

For me, the gems of the fair were a series of small white on white paintings by Sam Windett which I absolutely adored but were already sold!!!

I really enjoyed Scope, it was a manageable size and had many artists that were playing with

Under The Sun (white on white), 2012Oil on canvas, 62x43cm


I really enjoyed Scope, it was a manageable size and had many artists that were playing with installation and and a variety of media as opposed to strictly painting. There were however, some galleries and "wanna-be galleries" I felt lowered the quality of the the fair as a whole.

By chance, as I was attempting to navigate my way out of Scope, I got trapped in a corridor of mirrors and a young woman made eye-contact with me and herded me towards a door in what appeared to be a wall. She asked me "Do you want to go in?" I agreed, as I have learned to do when attending art events, although I had no idea what I was agreeing to. Sometimes, it is not something I would like to see or in the worse case scenario it can be a performance piece I would not like to participate in (yes, this has happened on one or two occasions). I walked in to find a mirrored room, full of trophies. I must say I am a big enthusiast for site specific installation. This one was by Kenton Parker. You can read about the piece by clicking the hyperlink below.  Interesting effect, and yes, it has been done before in way more interesting ways, but it did make for a good instagram photo. 


Infinity Trophy Room | A installation from Kenton Parker on view at the entry to Scope New York | March 7 – 11, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment